Wednesday, March 5, 2008

name that Judy Blume book

The new look is kind of serious, huh? The InStyle magazine helps things a little, but I really need a picture of a giant toddler head with Play-Do smeared on his mouth. Then all the sides of me would be covered I think.

I love that book in my header, though, Finding God in the Questions. I love the whole concept. I knew I wanted to read it as soon as I heard Dr. Johnson speak about it. He had been a very public, and respected, physician for a long time and now wanted to write about his faith. (Ah, the delicate balance between science and faith, Jack versus Locke, anyone?) I'm always intrigued when someone older than The Brady Brunch wants to tell us what they believe and why. And I wasn't disappointed. I loved his broad approach to the topic of God. He didn't assume he was writing to people who already believed.

I like questions. I think so many, many times, the answer is found within them. Humans are amazingly intelligent beings - and I marvel at all the things we have learned and invented and discovered and explained. But, and I think this is an actual scientific theorem sort of thing, there are many things we simply can't explain. Even about ourselves. And for me, that's where God is.

So, seriously, Play-Do, right? Or maybe spaghetti. I have the famous spaghetti-head shot for two of the three so far. The third one won't eat it. Play-Do and cat food? Absolutely. Warm pasta smothered in tomato sauce? Don't even try it, Mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K., I laughed out loud AGAIN!!
Nic's boss in Phoenix is searching, and full of questions. We spent 4 hours fielding his questions one eve over dinner, and didn't even scratch the surface.
Like the joke about the first 72 hours in Heaven, it is not going to be so much AHHH but, AH-HAH!!
It is like you said, and Nic has told him multiple times, it comes down to faith-either you believe-or not. We are praying for God to increase his faith. Thanks!!

Andrea

Ink Flinger said...

I agree about the questions. As I commented on some earlier post, I like the phrase, which I got from Henri Nouwen, "living the questions." I don't expect all the answers, and I get suspicious of those who think they have them, 'cause I sure don't.

Why are we so often focused on giving people answers? It's interesting--Jesus didn't give a lot of answers. He mostly asked more questions!

Felicity said...

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Tracy said...

I love this post! I agree that the answers ARE often found in the questions and I don't think we should ever be afraid to ask them. A lot of times for me, the answer has wound up being that it's just something I won't understand this side of heaven. I'm actually really okay with that, because the deepest answer of all is that I serve a God who has it all under control and there's not always a need for me to understand. (What with Him not needing my help and all!)

I'm just thankful that we serve a God who doesn't mind that we ask....

Anonymous said...

Ever watched What the Bleep! Down the Rabbit Hole? Want to break into blowing your mind wide open? It doesn't matter if you believe a word of what they say, what does matter is the world of opportunity their thoughts open up for questioning. What I've discovered is a God who is far more amazing than my brain even thought to imagine. What I would have thought once upon a time is this show would plant doubt about the God I serve - Tracy I'd take it one step further and say not only do we serve a God who doesn't mind our questioning, we serve a God who loves the questioning. That's where the real wonder begins when we start down the road of discovering just who we serve. To me that's heaven on earth.

Cindy Brennecke