Tuesday, November 11, 2008

how I got the greatest honor

New life is a beautiful thing. On Oprah the other day Will Smith said that in life, death is never the end. There is always a rebirth. "So if you have suffered a loss," he said - a parent has died, you've lost your job, been divorced - faced cancer, I would add - "You've got to stay focused, because there will be a rebirth." He explained this is always God's way.

On Sunday night, my little sister went into labor. Felicity and I jumped in the car and drove the five hours to be with her - and then missed the baby's birth by about an hour. When we arrived, they gave the baby to me, and Charity said, "Everyone, meet Nola Serenity Long." I cried.

Charity explained that she decided at her wedding that she would name her first baby after me, because at the time I had been diagnosed with a rare, aggressive cancer. Then of course, I lived. ("Yay", Charity added as she told the story). But then, you may remember, in April of this year, they found a spot on my bone and I went into surgery again. As we waited for the news about whether or not it was cancer again, Charity and Ryan waited for the appointment that would tell them whether or not they had made it to the twelve-week mark with her pregnancy. She had previously miscarried and at this point not yet told us she was pregnant again.

Some time in the morning, we got my news - no cancer. And not long after, Charity heard her baby's healthy heartbeat. Now Nola Serenity Long and I share a name and a very happy day in which our families learned that we would live.

I'm the happiest Aunt in the world, and life is a beautiful thing.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Happy, happy tears from me. I'm sure this should be a postscript in your book. But then, we'll probably want to add postscripts of all the wonderful moments for the next ninety years.

Valerie said...

This is a beautiful post! Happy tears from me too. It must be exquisite to have such a precious namesake!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your bond is more than just being an aunt and sharing a name. I love that! I am sure Nola Serenity Long will grow to be as beautiful a person as her namesake! Yes, life is a beautiful thing!

Andrea said...

I'm crying........yep, tears running down the cheeks. WONDERFUL!

Cheri' said...

What a beautiful post Serenity! And yes, I am crying too! I cried when I heard her name and again as I read your post. You and Nola are both beautiful and so are your lives!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that brought tears to my eyes ... I need a tissue! What an awesome post ... and congratulations to your sister and the proud auntie! Oh ... and, such a gorgeous picture of you two!

Anonymous said...

The celebration of life, I'm so glad you allowed me (us) to be a part of this, I'M SO HAPPY!! Hurray for Nola Serenity Long!!
Luv
Tiff

Tracy said...

What a beautiful connection you will always have with this little girl! This was such a heart-warming story. The perfect beginning for this holiday season that warms my heart every year!