Sunday, January 25, 2009

more things I love about movies

Question: How sad is it that most Americans are NOT smarter than a fifth grader? We have the board game at home, and I just failed half way through fourth grade. The question was something I really, really should have known. I'm embarassed to even tell you how much I should have known it. It had to do with the Alamo, and - well, I guess I just haven't seen enough movies on that one. The way Drew and I play, though, is that you get lots of chances to keep moving forward. And I totally nailed my million dollar Q. You want to know why? The question was, "In what year did the Great Depression start." So I replayed in my head something I'd read on my agent's blog recently - that their Christmas party theme at the end of the year was "Party like it's 1929." I also know the year of the Newsies strike (from the movie) and a few important tid bits on World War I (from the eighth book in the Anne of Green Gables series). And, YET, don't even think I could ace the pop culture section on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, because I only pay attention here and there even in that field that I love so much.

So, yea, I'm feeling kind of - well, not concerned - but interested - in the state of our intelligence. Because I know I'm not alone. I also know that at least I'm smarter than Kelly Pickler, who didn't know if France was a country or not, and the teen Miss America contestant who stumbled over basic geography in a question about why American kids don't know enough about geography and, seriously, most of the people interviewed by Jay Leno on the street outside of Universal Studios. I mean, that segment is just really, really sad.

Michael and I were talking about the economy today and various executive orders signed last week and the Climate Change formerly known as global warming. And of course, I eventually ran out of things I knew for sure and things of which I even had an educated opinion. That doesn't take long for me when it comes to current events. I've paid more attention to the current presidency in two days than I ever paid attention before. I think it was the fingers-in-the-ears philosophy. If I don't know it, it can't scare me, la la la. I think I got that from a movie too. And I quote:

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser or a Corillian Death Ray or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they. . . Do . . . Not. . . . Know about it.

Isn't that the truth.

5 comments:

Lori said...

The White House website has been re-done by the Obama team to reflect his promise of a "transparent" government. There is a section in it that has all the executive orders on it. I spent an hour or so reading all of them. I kind of like the idea that they are there to read even if I don't get around to it. Point being, I hope to become smarter than a 5th grader someday!

Serenity said...

I have the White House site bookmarked for this reason too. It has a blog also, which is much more civilian-friendly.

Smarter than a 5th grader - I think I may have just found my New Year's resolution.

Andrea said...

Serenity,
If you want to watch something "educational", movie wise, rent the HBO series John Adams. AMAZING!! I'm well aware that hollywood takes license with anything it makes into a movie, but this is on of the best pieces of American History portrayed on film I have seen in a long long time. It humbled both Roger and I in revealing to both of us how much we romantisize the establishment of our nation, when in fact it was a painful and laborous process costing those involved sooooo much. I will warn you though, the boys are too young for this one--sometimes real life is age appropriate, and is in this way you don't want your 5th grader to be smarter than you.

Kelly H-Y said...

So true! Great post!

Kathy said...

Amen, sister, to your final thought. Sometimes I lean on Psalm 131
Lord,...I do not concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp ...

(Like impending meteor impacts, or evil space aliens, or theological issue that spin my brain)