Monday, August 4, 2008

in praise of children and grandparents

So, I'm not sure it was the smartest thing to start a new job right at the beginning of summer vacation. Have I already mentioned that? I was used to sticking headphones in my ears while the boys played around me. It was easy to tune out their cartoon commentaries and frequent hunger pangs (very frequent hunger pangs) when I was listening to a physician in my head set. It's a little more difficult when I'm writing about educational attractions around the country. Plus, although it is technically an at-home job, I have to be at the office to record video, so there's childcare to think about. My employer has been really helpful with that, but it's still an added stress when it's not something I had to think of before. It's gone totally fine of course. Just like when you're a mother for the first time - there's a lot to worry and stress about, you're completely exhausted and terrified half the time, but - you know, so happy you don't care. So I haven't actually been too thrown by the difficulty of throwing a new job into the summer vacation mix.

But then, the kids are staying with Michael's mom for a couple of days, and well - suddenly, having a job and still cooking supper and keeping the house straightened AND driving out of town to renew my driver's license today - it was all so much easier. If you're a grandmother, (or an aunt or friend without children of your own), consider this. The occasional over-nighter. Seriously - once a year even. It will SAVE YOUR CHILDREN'S LIVES.

Now, please, don't misunderstand. If the fact that I completely, unnervingly, without exception totally adore my children is not superbly clear on this blog, then I'm shutting it down this very moment and starting over from the beginning WITH MORE PICTURES. (Have I shown you Jake's hair cut? SO CUTE.) But, just a little break. A few moments where you only have to straighten the living room once and you don't have to change any diapers and you miss them so much that it hurts - it's really helpful.

So thank you to Jane for the breather. Apologize to Kent for me for the fact that he's probably not getting meals any more, and please tell them that by the time they see me again it will be like a whole new mommy - or rather, the old mommy, but BETTER.

11 comments:

Felicity said...

Mom did this for me last month and I get one more shot in a couple of weeks. Awesome! I'm a much better person when they get me back.

Kathy said...

My mother and my mother-in-law took you guys on a regular basis. I especially remember when we lived in Tulsa one summer and they took the three big kids for a full week. It was like a Hawaiin vacation for me. The Bohon boys are on my calendar for the weekend of your anniversary!! Don't forget!

Serenity said...

A weekend getaway over our anniversary? Grandmothers rock the mock!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how handsome is that boy? For crying out loud.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" -- times like, a million when it comes to kids.

And yes, it's quite evident that you adore your babies Seren, no worries.

Serenity said...

Why yes, yes he is.

And also, I would like to amend the blog to say that Jane made Great Grandma Bohon's famous spaghetti tonight. Apparently she can cook and watch the children. I should probably try that some time. . .

Anonymous said...

Now, I MUST have that famous recipe, as Great Grandma Bohon used to babysit me. Srsly, it puts me at the head of the line.
:)

and omg the haircut!! hes the most adorable creature on this planet I tell you
luv
Tiff

Valerie said...

I feel a little bit guilty about how much I enjoy it when the kids spend some quality time with my mom and dad. I have a huge list of what I want to accomplish and sometimes I take a nap. I love going to pick them up after the break. You are right. It makes such a difference!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

J's parents used to take both kiddos from Friday through Sunday. It was amazing then and I knew I had it better than most everyone. Now, I am with the children 24/7 except for Sundays for an hour at church and Wednesdays for 2 hours during mom's group. You are blessed to have people near you whom you can trust to care for your boys overnight - even if it's once a month! Oh, and I don't think anyone can say you don't love your boys after the sacrifices you've made for them.

Anonymous said...

Grandmas definitely rock!! :-)

EEEK! The baby's growing up! Wow. :-)

Anonymous said...

Where to start- I have so many things to say!...I love Jake's haircut! I am forever grateful to my dear mother who helps so much with the kids; I also love the relationships they have with her. You put this into words so well and I so relate! Also...did you know Jared and Drewby are in the same class this year? That is fun...Oh yeah and I remember going to visit Great-Grandma Bohon and we took the boat with us and we stopped at McDonalds...and for some reason I remember riding in my pajamas - Aunt Jane was probably smart and had us put them on if we were traveling late...I also used to visit and Jane and I would go get ice cream while the boys were at ball practice, just "us girls". :-) Okay I really didn't mean to rattle on like that but your writing evokes such memories and various thoughts!
luv, sara

Serenity said...

Sara, you always have the most perfect compliments for me and my writing. It's so encouraging. Writing a blog is so fun, but it would be such a waste if it didn't make people treasure their own thoughts and memories. What a great reaction!