Friday, February 22, 2008

finders keepers

A real life moment in my day.  (That's why I have on no eyeliner - I almost always put on eyeliner for you people, but I was letting my lids rest as one of them was sore - and why Jake's hair is sticking up.  It looks quite handsome when it's combed).  If you go to Felicity's site you will see the receiving end of this picture as we were video chatting with Lic and Macy at the time.  Check out the overalls on that little chica.  Adorable.   I love Mac Books.

And guess what?  I think I do have a life motto.  I remembered it as so many of you were sharing yours on my last post.  (Just keep swimming, gotta love that.  I'm such a fan of the Dory-types).  
I read mine in a book by Martha Kilpatrick called All and Only, and it struck me as special immediately.  She was talking about not knowing where life is going to take you and how you're going to accomplish what you want, and then she said.  "Do the task at hand, Live the life you find."  I love that.

I sometimes wonder if I should regret this or that decision, if I've made the right choices, how things would be different if I had made different decisions.  Her phrase settled me so much.  We do make a lot of choices in life, but sometimes life just happens.  We make some choices because they are a by-product to some other bigger choice we were making.  And eventually I just needed to realize that truth, live the life you find.  It doesn't mean I don't believe in pursuing better jobs or big dreams or warmer geographical locations (good grief, Winter, are ya done yet?  Uncle, already!)  But I live this phrase in the sense that I don't want to always be looking elsewhere for my life when whatever it is, whatever I'm supposed to do - at least right now - is right in front of me.  

Anyway, I didn't like being motto-less.  I need to be ready for Oprah when she calls.  Of course, darn, it's not like I wrote that phrase myself . . . ah well.  Recognizing greatness is a certain kind of greatness in and of itself, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I just enlarged this picture of you and the Jakester and the one of Felic and Macy. Then I put them side by side on my screen and pretended I was at your cyber-party. This is so cool. Sometimes I forget to love my life, but these pictures set me straight tonight.
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just had a tingle moment (that's what I call it when something gives me goosebumps :)
I just LOVE reading your blogs! They almost always inspire me and put a smile on my face! I kinda feel like I am sneaking into my sister's diary when I read someone else's blog. So it's only fair to pop in every now and then and wave and say "I'm here!"

Ink Flinger said...

You know, I think only women are able to notice the presence or absence eyeliner. Except for the way some teenage girls put it on, with a trowel--that's usually noticeable.

I like your motto. It's something I'm working on trying to live. I'm not so good at it yet.

stormi esperanza said...

hi Serenity,
Andrea gave me the direction of your blogspot because i posted something similar on my xanga. i loved the book _all and only_ as well after bethany meadors gave it to me for christmas many years ago. not exactly sure of my life motto, but i do like a quote from _strictly ballroom_ "vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias" which means a life lived in fear is a life half-lived. anyway, i enjoyed reading your post and i'll have to visit more often.
besito,
abigail