Monday, January 14, 2008

and the winner is . . . are you kidding me?

Dear Hollywood big corporation conglomerate guys (is that what we're supposed to call you?):

Last night's Golden Globes . . . thing . . . was supremely awful. I can't tell you how much I missed the razzle dazzle. Did I ever say it was just a night for Hollywood to simply pat itself on the back, further increasing the distance between them and us regular blokes? No I did not, because I was too busy glued to the television screen each year enjoying the show with all my heart, a bowl of popcorn, and a glass of chocolate milk. I love watching Hollywood pat itself on the back. Johnny Depp's final win after seven nominations meant nothing when he wasn't there to tell us he was proud. His picture was simply flashed on the podium as if he had died this year. And best drama of the year and best comedy of the year should never be read from a cue card like all the technical awards we (should but) don't care about that "were handed out in a previous ceremony earlier this evening." It was not cool. And I'm begging you, before Oscar night, please fix this. Get back at the table, and make the deals.

I know there are more important things in the world. But I don't come to you for your solution to cancer or the Iraq war or the AIDS epidemic in Africa or all the smaller equally horrible things that happen to one person at a time all over the world. I come to you for inspiration, to laugh just after I have cried, to react to the saddest things in life in a way that at least connects me to someone else who gets it, and to hope that the very best things in life sometimes do happen.

Yes, the Oscars get more and more pretentious every year. Most of us don't even live near a theater that carries all of the nominated films. But I don't care about that once the women don their dresses and the best speech-makers tell us jokes and the even better ones make us cry. I love that show. Please don't let two and half cents keep it from happening.

And for goodness sake, if you can't please the writers by then and thereby get the actors to show - at least give us the music montages. It's movie clips to music. Perhaps, you can at least do that without writers.

Sincerely,
Serenity

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN sister!!!!

Okay you're not technically my sister, I know, just sayin.....
lol
love ya
Tiffy