Monday, October 29, 2007

A Tag-You're-It from the Good Girls


This post is a Tag-You're-It from the Good Girl Lit blog. Enquiring minds want to know: Where is my favorite place to read? So this is a picture of my corner. I like the chair with the throw draped on it if I want to feel particularly tucked into my little cottage-sized home, and the right-hand corner of the love seat by the window if I want to look out on my beautiful street and think beautiful thoughts (between chapters of course). This is where I read when I am purposefully, deliberately sitting down to enjoy a book. Otherwise, I grab my chances when I can, kitchen counter not excluded.

Lately I've been fantasizing about reading at Hastings though. It's the pseudo-Barnes and Noble for our small town, or up-scale Wal-Mart entertainment center, depending on how you look at it. I've heard Christians in my city say they won't step foot in this store because of the images that sometimes jump out at you - that's entertainment for ya. But I love it. Especially the book section. There are little reading chairs a la "You've Got Mail" ("You can sit and read for hours and no one will bother you . . ."). And through my work day, which is at home, which means that the little things that need done tend to haunt me and the little toddler that needs cared for can sometimes frustrate my work ethic, and often I fantasize about those little chairs in Hastings. I always think I will go there in the evenings so that I can read in the book section in the hopes that all those wonderful pages will somehow infuse me with literary gumption so that I can not only more thoroughly enjoy the read, but also be inspired and motivated to write well. But alas, I haven't gone even once yet. I generally stay in my corner instead because just on the other side of it are the husband and the sons. And even though, these are the very things that distract me most from both a good read and a good "write", they are just so terribly difficult to leave . . .


4 comments:

May Vanderbilt said...

Oh me, oh my what gorgeous children!!! They're little flaxen-haired angels!

That looks like a very snug corner indeed. And I've been to a Hastings before! I know what you mean about a space like that. I used to drive an hour (an hour!) in college to the next town over, just so I could spend the day reading and drinking coffee in their Barnes and Noble. It's just the feeling that no one can find you there and you're surrounded by books.

Anonymous said...

That is exactly the feeling I mean. It's so nice when you ramble on about something, to then read a comment and thankfully realize someone totally gets you.

Anonymous said...

Seren..... YOU, are a lone reed. You are a lone reed, standing tall, waving boldly in the corrupt sands of commerce.
Ü
reed/read......I seem to remember going back and forth about this. But either way, you're cool.And I LOVE your little corner.
Love
Tiffy

Anne Dayton said...

This corner looks so amazingly comfortable. I love that it's so bright! You get tons of sunlight, and it just makes me want to curl up and stay for hours. Which would be weird, because then I'd be in your living room when you came home. But it looks awesome!